Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy 75th Birthday MOM!

Today is my mom's birthday.  She turned 75 today.  We went to get ice cream at Nielson's Frozen Custard.  She loves their ice cream. I do too, of course.  I would describe my mom as spunky, funny, cheerful and a great listener.  She was born in Mapleton, Utah and would have stayed right there til this very day, except that's not what happened.  She and dad have lived in 8 countries, traveled all throughout North America, Mexico, Central and South America, Asia, and then some.  She has ridden camels in a dess and panty hose,(much to her dismay), hiked up pyramids and seen cathedrals by the dozens, flown all over the world, seen poverty in every form and taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all she meets, in word and deed.  She has been a witness and born testimony of the Savior to 1000's of missionaries and members of the church throughout the world.  She was most recently the matron of the Houston Temple.  This all began in 1975 and now, 35 years later, they are home.  They came home about 2 years ago and live in NSL, nearby me.  They are tired and worn out now,  they have sore knees and backs, but they have worn themselves out in the service of GOD.  They are as fun and generous as always.  I love their counsel.  I love my mom's smile and her one-liners.  (She is my real live hero.)  She is experiencing a new phase of life now, dealing with alzheimers desease. Much of what she used to know comes and goes, yet she handles it with grace. (She asked me today, "How many days are in a month, usually"?)   I pray I'll handle it in the same dignified manner, should it be my lot in life.  She is forgetting names and asked me to forgive her today, if she mixes me up with someone else.  "Of course, Mom", I said, (but inside my heart I cried, "No Mom, no..... please not yet.  I still need you and you're finally home.")  The reason for all this emotion???  Well, I'm still a little girl, a child.  There is some, but little about me that is "ALL GROWN UP AND MATURE", and I need a mom, my mom.  You took such great care with me.  SO, whatever the future holds,  I will always choose you.  You are my teacher right now, as I watch you cautiously and slowly make your way along this path of uncertainty.  I'll hold your hand when I can and learn from you.... as I always have.  Thank you for who you are, past and present.......and Happy Birthday!!  I love you for always.

1 comment:

  1. I put a comment in here once and I guess it went to cyper space! Lovely post Laura, beautifully and so expressively written. My sentiments exactly. It made me tear up a little and smile, too. Love you so much and am glad we're together again and able to spend time with mom. Family is wonderful. Love, Nat.

    ReplyDelete